Nick Kyrgios’ withdrawal from ANOTHER tournament has sparked concern star won’t be fit for the Australian Open – as his manager hits back at critics who think the bad boy’s injury is FAKE.
- Nick Kyrgios has withdrawn from another tournament, raising new concerns
- The 27-year-old withdrew from the United Cup with an ankle injury
- He has already pulled out of the Adelaide International due to a knock
- Manager Daniel Horsfall is frustrated with people questioning Kyrgios’ injuries
- Kyrgios faces a race against time to be fit to play at the Australian Open
Nick Kyrgios has suffered a major blow to his bid to qualify for the Australian Open after the tennis star pulled out of another warm up event.
A week on from angering his countrymen after withdrawing from the United Cup, it has been confirmed that Kyrgios will not play in the Adelaide International 2 on January 10.
Tournament officials confirmed that Kyrgios will miss the second week of the tournament due to an injury.
Nick Kyrgios has pulled out of another tournament just days from the Australian Open
‘The Adelaide International can confirm that Nick Kyrgios will not compete in Week 2 of the tournament,’ a statement obtained by News Corp read.
‘The event is obviously disappointed with this decision as well as the fans who support him, but injuries happen and health is always the priority.
‘The Adelaide International wishes Nick Kyrgios the best of luck and a speedy recovery, understanding the importance of Australian Open preparation. He is welcome at Adelaide International anytime.’
Kyrgios’ manager Daniel Horsfall also vented his frustration at those questioning the legitimacy of the Canberra born star’s injuries.
‘We are excited and working every day to make sure we are ready for the Australian Open,’ said Horsfall.
The 27-year-old angered his countrymen after leaving the United Cup last week
He was embroiled in a war of words with Aussie tennis hero Lleyton Hewitt over his withdrawal.
‘A lot of people were upset after he pulled out of the United Cup, but I hope they realize the injury is real.
‘I wish more people would ask before putting in their two cents.’
The Australian Open starts on January 16.
Since his United Cup exit, Kyrgios has been embroiled in a war of words with Aussie tennis legend Lleyton Hewitt, who was far from impressed with the 27-year-old’s eleventh-hour exit.
Kyrgios told The Sydney Morning Herald he had to prioritize his preparations for next month’s Australian Open but after Alex de Minaur’s defeat to Cameron Norrie, Hewitt said the way Kyrgios withdrew was the hardest to swallow .
Despite being the captain, Hewitt only learned that Kyrgios had pulled out with the rest of the team: ten minutes before Australia’s press conference on Wednesday.
When he tried to contact Kyrgios after that, Hewitt didn’t get an immediate response.
‘It’s pretty tough not knowing what’s going on in the last 24 hours,’ Hewitt said on Thursday night.
But now an ankle injury could hamper his chances of playing at Melbourne Park this month
‘It is more likely the lack of communication.
‘If it only concerns Nick, that’s one thing, but when it revolves around the team and the other people and I think their preparation … Australian Open.
‘That’s probably the hardest thing.’
Kyrgios responded by pointing to women’s captain Sam Stosur’s more measured response when Ajla Tomljanovic pulled out with a tweaked left knee.
‘Mmm I wonder if (Sam) Stosur will throw her under the bus like our captain did for me … ‘it’s hard to prepare when you don’t know what’s going on’,’ Kyrgios wrote on Twitter.