Tiger Woods GOES HOME from Hero World Challenge with foot injury, says ‘difficult to walk’ but insists he’ll compete in The Match and PNC Championship
- Tiger Woods announced his retirement from the tournament on Twitter
- The 15-time major champion announced that he had plantar fasciitis
- Woods, the tournament host, will be replaced by Austrian Sepp Straka
- He will play with Rory McIlroy in The Match vs. Jordan Spieth and Justin Thomas
- He is also scheduled to participate in the PNC Championship with son Charlie, 13
- Click here for all your latest international Sports news from DailyMail.com
Tiger Woods was forced to shelve plans for his first competitive outing since July after injuring his foot.
The 15-time major winner was scheduled to play in the Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas this week but confirmed on Monday night that he was struggling with plantar fasciitis in his right foot.
The 20-man event is Woods’ first tournament since missing The Open and only his fourth year as he continues to battle the effects of a car crash in 2021 that nearly cost him his right leg.
Tiger Woods withdrew from the Hero World Challenge later this week
Woods, the tournament host, announced he was leaving the field on Twitter
Despite the setback, Woods plans to play an exhibition match with Rory McIlroy, Justin Thomas and Jordan Spieth on Dec. 10, and is also set to contest the PNC Championship with his son Charlie next month.
In a statement, he said: ‘In preparation and training for the Hero World Challenge this week, I developed plantar fasciitis in my right foot, which makes walking difficult.
‘After consulting with my doctors and trainers, I have decided to withdraw this week and focus on my hosting duties. My plan is to still compete in The Match and the PNC Championship.’
Austrian Sepp Straka will replace Woods on the field in the Bahamas.
He will compete with Rory McIlroy in The Match against Jordan Spieth and Justin Thomas
The tournament is set to be the first event of the ‘Tiger Season,’ in which the 15-time Major championship participates in three events in December – the Hero World Challenge, followed by The Match and the PNC Championship. Woods said he still intends to compete in the final two events.
Last week, he announced that he will participate in the PNC Championship for the third time with his 13-year-old son Charlie.
The 20-team field is for winners of the majors or The Players Championship and a child or parent. This is Woods’ third time playing. A year ago, he and Charlie finished a shot behind John Daly and his son.
The 36-hole event, televised by NBC, is Dec. 17-18 at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club Orlando.
Tiger Woods and 13-year-old son Charlie are returning to the PNC Championship
Woods put down the golf clubs and picked up the bag as he caddied for Charlie in September
The Hero World Challenge should be Woods’ first outing since The Open Championship in July.
Woods made a fairytale return to St. Andrews at The 150th Open, 17 months on from his horror car crash that left doctors thinking they might have to amputate his leg.
However, a successful comeback was not for Woods as his Open tournament ended after two rounds.
He previously completed his miraculous recovery, playing for the first time since his accident at The Masters in April.