From the States to Swansea! Ex-USMNT head coach Gregg Berhalter ‘is a candidate to replace Russell Martin in the Welsh team’ after being out of a job since the World Cup and Gio Reyna scandal
- Ex-USA head coach Gregg Berhalter guided the country to the last-16 of the 2022 World Cup
- He then left the role and was in the headlines due to the US Soccer investigation
- DailyMail.com provides all the latest international sports news
Former USA head coach Gregg Berhalter is reportedly being considered for the Swansea managerial role.
The 49-year-old has been out of work since his US Soccer contract expired at the end of the Qatar World Cup in December and the Gio Reyna scandal erupted.
Berhalter is a candidate to return to the USMNT but is also an option for English Tier 2 Welsh club Swansea, Wales Online reported on Friday.
Current Swansea boss Russell Martin is on the verge of a move to Southampton following their relegation from the Premier League.
The report claims that Swansea’s American owners are interested in Berhalter, who guided the USMNT to the Round of 16 in last year’s showpiece tournament.
Ex-USA coach Gregg Berhalter is reportedly being considered for the Swansea managerial role
The 49-year-old has been out of work since his contract with US Soccer expired at the end of the Qatar World Cup in December and the Gio Reyna (left) scandal erupted
Swansea finished 10th in the Championship this season, just three points off the playoff places.
Berhalter made headlines when details about his private life with wife Rosalind were shared by former friends – and parents of USA player Gio – Claudio and Danielle Reyna.
Months of sensational rumors and bombshell developments began at the World Cup when Gio Reyna was almost sent home for his perceived lack of effort, leading to the release of shocking details and the start of a formal investigation.
It all came to a head in March when the results of the investigation were released, with details about Reyna’s parents sending years of texts, emails and calls to US Soccer officials complaining about treatment and playing time. of their son in the international setup.
The investigation, ordered by US Soccer, was into a domestic violence incident involving him and his now-wife Rosalind in 1992.
Berhalter admitted kicking his wife after he hit her in the face during an argument one night out at a bar when they were 18, and the report deemed it an ‘isolated incident’, with ‘no evidence to suggest ‘ which still has issues.
The drama was thrust into the spotlight after the World Cup when it was revealed that Claudio and Danielle Reyna – the parents of the player Gio, and former friends of the Berhalters – had informed the leaders of the 1992 incident.
The report said the Queen’s parents spoke with then-US Soccer chief Earnie Stewart on the night of December 11, 2022 to reveal ‘information about Mr. Berhalter… known to Mrs. Queen for decades and… the information was disclosed at a time when it was expected to prevent or otherwise influence the organization to offer a contract extension to Mr. Berhalter.’
However, despite these actions, the Alston & Bird report said they did not constitute blackmail or extortion.
As it stands, Anthony Hudson is in charge of the USMNT on an interim basis.
News/Image Sources: Daily Mail