The NRL CBA stalemate is set to extend into the State of Origin season after club bosses CANCELED meeting with players over settlement agreement
- The pay dispute is set to continue
- The Game wide CBA is now seven months overdue
- Players union boss Clint Newton is furious
- Calls have been made for the 17 NRL clubs to be more proactive
- NSW star Cam Murray labels situation ‘draining’
Frustrated players’ union boss Clint Newton has slammed the NRL and its clubs for not being proactive in resolving the ongoing pay dispute, as protracted talks hit another impasse .
Originally due to be completed in November, the game-wide collective bargaining agreement (CBA) is now seven months overdue with NSW State of Origin star Cameron Murray branding the situation ‘draining’ and ‘disappointing’ on Thursday .
The Rugby League Players Association (RLPA) was confident a deal would be in place by the end of May when they offered a settlement proposal to the NRL last week.
But there are now fears that the offer, which covers upwards of 30 unresolved issues, has inadvertently slowed the process.
It is believed that there are several proposals included in the offer that have not been fully discussed previously.
Frustrated players’ union boss Clint Newton has slammed the NRL and its 17 clubs for failing to be prompt in resolving the ongoing pay dispute.
The game-wide collective bargaining agreement (CBA) is now seven months overdue, with NSW Origin star Cameron Murray (pictured) labeling the situation ‘draining’.
While there is no request for additional funding, the offer includes proposed changes to the minimum wage for the next five years, the way private health insurance is paid for and the transfer system.
The NRL met with clubs on Wednesday morning to discuss the offer and while it will take at least until next week to compile feedback to the RLPA, it is clear the proposal will be rejected.
Club bosses have called off a meeting with senior players set for Wednesday night, with the likes of Daly Cherry-Evans and Christian Welch expected to explain their position.
That frustrated the players’ union, which maintains it is trying to advance negotiations and wants a resolution after a 12-month extension of the previous CBA was agreed upon in November.
‘Slowing things down is the [17 NRL] clubs not attending a meeting with their players on Wednesday night,’ Newton said.
”[Also] what is slowing things down is that the NRL is not accepting our offer to present our settlement proposal in person to their management team.
‘If those two options are taken, we are closer to an agreement or problem solving.
‘But we have not met with either party despite opportunities being given and it is left to interpretation to respond to our settlement proposal.
NRL club bosses have called off a meeting with senior players set for Wednesday night, with the likes of Daly Cherry-Evans (pictured) expected to explain their position
‘It is up to NRL management to understand the context and details of our settlement proposal before they take it to the ARL Commission so they can make an informed decision before accepting or rejecting it.’
The NRL will not comment publicly on Thursday’s negotiations, but have long maintained they want to conclude the talks quickly with a deal that suits both parties.
The head office also insisted that the clubs have not been advised to cancel their union meeting and that they themselves are always open to meet with RLPA officials.
The NRL has remained adamant they are willing to compromise with players and have done so in previous offers.
The union also believes they have offered a compromise in their settlement offer, notably allowing the NRL to build a $300million asset base before sharing above-forecast revenue with players.
‘Both parties are directed by the independent negotiator to break the deadlock,’ Newton said.
‘We tried to speed up things that really stopped. We want peace, not another pass-the-buck episode in this CBA capers.’